Followers

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I will do science to it!

Today, the kids and I went to OMSI with Aunt Heather, Uncle Craig, Aunt Amber, and cousins Trent, Ainsley, and Carter. I frickin love OMSI, have since I was a kid! For those who may be reading this who aren't familiar with this neck of the woods, OMSI is the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. Like any true geek, I went armed with my trusty lab goggles, magnifying glass, and sonic screwdriver. First we went to the turbine hall where they have all manner of hands on experiments and fun science activities. Jillie and Trent tried out the space capsule. Nah, not interactive enough.... Moving on!
Next we moved onto an oldie but a goodie (and still one of my personal faves) the earthquake simulator! Jillie love this one too. You get to pick between two magnitudes, then it plays "I Feel the Earth Move" by Carole King and the room starts a-rocking. After a bit it plays the emergency alert sound and does the whole shtick. It rarely gets to that point with Jillie though, she just likes to dance to the song, then start the whole thing over again. Gavin, on the other hand was wary. After a few times through he got the hang of it. He didn't get down and funky like his sister, more like just standing there like a deer in the headlights.
At least the kid is good at keeping his balance! Carter dug it too, I think he liked the falling down part. Next, we moved onto the water tables to build paddle boats, sailboats, irrigation systems, and to get completely soaking wet. Gavin tried a number of times to cut to the chase and just climb right in. Jillie wasn't to thrilled with having a wet tummy. Fortunately there was a hand dryer and a bench nearby.

Unfortunately, the toddler area and the room with Samson the Tyrannosaur were closed for renovation. So what else could we do, but go and play with lizards, insects, and rats!

We bumped into Elly, one of Jillie's friends from Kindercare. Jillie introduced her to Trent and they dragged each other all over the place. Gavin enjoyed watching the snake and rat the most. In another exhibit, he and Ainsley did their best to re-mix  "Twinkle Twinkle" to the best of their one and a half year old abilities. That is to say, they fiddled at random with the controls and moved to the music.

 Bel met us after work and played with the kids. It was great to see everyone and get to hang out together. Heather, Craig, Trent and Ainsley live in Kodiak, so the chances to see them are few and far between. I love em and miss em!

Wow. It's later than I thought. I should get to bed, it's hard to sleep in when your children are early birds. Night all!

1 comment:

  1. It was so much fun, wish I could have gotten there sooner. I love Gavin headbanding, especially to Twinkle, Twinkle.

    My girl on the other cracks me up. She'll go straight up to a lizard and pet it, but when it comes to walking stick insect, she freaks out.

    ReplyDelete